Home » , » My backyard yard: beautiful blooms

My backyard yard: beautiful blooms

Written By venus on Thursday, May 1, 2014 | 12:03 AM

My tiny urban backyard produces a few welcome spring blooms. I'm hoping to expand the plantings this year but for now I'm enjoying the limited number of flowers that I have. All three of the perennials discussed below figure prominently in this year's gardening plans.




As garden plants, hyacinths are well adapted to cold-weather climates. I believe my hyacinths are of the Dutch variety. Each bulb produces a single spike of dense, bell-like flowers. The plants grow about one foot tall, and the blossoms last about two weeks in my locale. They sprout and bloom every year. My hyacinths were inherited from my home's previous owner (that's about the only plants he left me). I'd like to plant more hyacinths for a stronger display. The best time to plant new bulbs is when the weather begins to cool in autumn, usually in October. One advantage for hyacinths is that squirrels won't dig up the bulbs and eat them. They apparently don't like the taste. I avoid tulips altogether; squirrels love them, both as bulbs and blossoms. 



Daffodils (narcissus) is another garden standby for spring. They are permanent, increasing from year to year; most varieties are hardy to winter temperatures as low as 30 degrees below zero Fahrenheit (minus 34 Celsius). Squirrels, gophers and deer won't eat them. The flowers try to orient themselves to the sun. The bulbs don't mind clustering. They eventually produce a mass of flowers each spring. My sister gave me some bulbs a few years ago. I made the mistake of planting them too deeply so I don't have as many as I would like. Having since consulted a gardening guide, I recognize that larger bulbs should be planted 5 to 6 inches in good topsoil. As with hyacinths, the correct time to plant the bulbs is in the autumn as the weather begins to cool.



Pachysandra (also known as spurge) is a low-growing perennials that sends out runners that create solid masses of ground cover. They're cold hardy in most locations. They can withstand heavy shade and often are able to compete with trees for moisture. Too much sun causes yellowing of the leaves. I planted a few sprigs a few years ago; they now cover more than 100 square feet (30 square meters) of ground. I believe mine are of the Japanese variety, a type that is commonly grown in home landscapes of eastern Pennsylvania. The plants reach 6 to 12 inches high. The flowers aren't particularly showy but they do accent the waxy, evergreen leaves. The springtime blooms last about two to three weeks. Pachysandra's dense foliage is ideal for blocking weeds. It is resistant to nearly all pests and infections.

In short, one or all of these plants could do well in your garden. If you have enough sun, try daffodils or hyacinths. Their blooming season is short, but you can have color all summer long if you intermix them with annuals or other perennials. If your garden is shady, try pachysandra. It's especially good in large gardens; in smaller spaces, keep it in check with aggressive pruning.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts